Sunday, July 8, 2012

What Advocacy Taught Me




There are many misconceptions about advocates. Kesho, aktibista daw kame (partially true), mahilig daw kame magrally (it’s kind of fun, actually), marami daw kameng pera at sikat (paminsan-minsan, oo, sikat, but mapera? Where the heck did that come from?).

There are a lot of myths and misconceptions about us, and about the definition of advocacy, so let me define that last bit for you:

Advocacy is waking up at 4AM in the morning, taking and paying for a cab so you can get to a meeting place on time, and using your brains and your hands to actually accomplish something for what you believe in – despite coming and being at work (that actually pays you) until 9 in the evening.

Advocacy is rushing through flooded streets, amidst rain, and despite pissed off parents to the most important event of your organization.




But that’s okay. In my short time as an advocate (I’ve only pursued it for a little over a year), I’ve come to feel that, for someone like me who doesn’t have a lot of money, and who’s not necessarily the best in my field, there is still so much to do.

 In advocacy, I found selfless purpose.

Advocacy is also a lot of work– so much work that you barely have time to catch your breath – but there is also so many things learn. And here are some of the stuff I picked up along the way.

That, damn it, my parents were right all along!

They said I can be a nurse AND whatever else I want to be (which is to write and share my thoughts, to make use of my considerable English skills, and to be a modern Gabriela Silang for women everywhere!). Well, here I am: nurse advocate, English educator, and self-proclaimed revolutionary heroine for women (operative word is "self-proclaimed")

         That hating my course is stupid.

If you’ve read my post A Change of Heart, you’ll know that I wasn’t much of an enthusiast for my degree before, and I used to have a “who the hell cares” attitude toward whoever I thought was stupid enough to pursue the same path as I did. Hell, I didn't want to be a doctor's servant! I didn't know nurses are NEVER that; I didn't know that we can be leaders, educators, change makers.

But being an advocate, and being able to meet all the amazing nurses that broke the barriers of definition, has given me more than enough insight to come to respect the people in my profession.

         That fighting for what you believe in is more effective as a group.

I’ve learned how to network, to talk to different people, and to come out of my shell as a schizoid chick and mingle. I’m quite glad to be part of the Alliance of Young Nurse Leaders and Advocates, who, more than colleagues, turned out to be really cool people to hang out with. I’m more confident in going all revolutionary and blatant in saying what I want to say, simply because I know they’ve got my back.
Tip! If you’re really an advocate, my friend, then KNOW that you won’t succeed alone.

       That we can teach how to put on a condom and how to use pills, be funny about it, but not  break down to hysterical fits of maniacal laughter.

For demonstrations and/or advice for contraceptive use, kindly leave a message.

That advocacy is fun.

It’s certainly no-nonsense, but working with like-minded people, enriching yourself as a person, and the just the thought of being able to do something that is selfless are a different kind of high.



       That I have the capacity to be so much more than I am.
Because you can never be an advocate if you succumb to weakness and mediocrity. Only those who can rise about their own expectations and perceived limits can truly speak for others.



What about you? What have you learned from advocacy?#

No comments:

Post a Comment