Thursday, December 12, 2013

Something Jolly: 4 Ways to Make Presents Special without Bursting your Pocket

My "I'm Crafting" look. And yes, that's a paintbrush stuck in my hair.
During the holidays, I am often faced with a huge dilemma: I am poor, but I like giving presents, especially to kids. Having grown up in a family who loves kids, I kind of taken on the role as big sister/ninang of children in the neighborhood. I also have friends whom I especially love and although you can't really wrap up "pagmamahal" (that's an idea, though), I really like showing them that they are important to me. To me, giving gifts is just as rewarding, if not more, than receiving them. 

Here are 4 ways I make presents special. Warning: This involves whipping up your paint brush and getting down and dirty.


1. Make your own wrapper and card. 
Last year, the RH Bill was turned into the RH Law and it made my Christmas that much happier. Inspired, I took some of my craft paper, placed it on the floor, took my biggest paint brush and began to paint swirls of silver and shades of purple on it. I ended up with my own wrapping paper which (in my humble opinion) was festive and symbolic at the same time. I jazzed the wrapping up with the some lovely ribbons and they were good to go.

This year, I found this really cute wrapper. I actually bought it several months ago then stuffed it into my "arts drawer" for ages. It was so in-Christmasy that I decided Christmas is the perfect time to use it! This year, I skipped making my own wrapper and did these cards instead. I used black paper, metallic pens, and my topsy-turvy imagination.



(Excuse the face and the nasty nails -_-)I made different designs and each design is unique.
2. Whip up your paint brush and get creative.
If you're the crafty kind of gal or the kind of guy who has a good hand for art, why not make presents. I'm guilty of doing this. Last year, forced by the fact that I barely had money to buy myself presents, I settled for buying a bunch of stuff instead - several pieces of small pad paper actually. I wrapped these in craft paper (my favorite) and painted on them. You can also do this using those brown paper bags they give to you at the supermarket. I got loads of those just waiting to be used.
Here's one of the pad papers I painted on. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to give this gift.

This year, I'm making a bunch of jewelry for some friends. 
My apologies for the sucky photos, but there you go. Here are some stuff I'm giving away to some of my dear friends.
 What is cool about making your own gifts is that it is both a labor of love and an expression of your creativity. I think it benefits you more than the recipient of the gift, which probably makes me somewhat selfish?... Although, of course, I hope that the people I give gifts too like the stuff I make. :P


3. Personalize your gifts.This can mean having the name of the person on your gift, or choosing/making the gift specifically for the recipient. I do both. Last year, the pad papers I painted had the recipient's names on them. If you're buying gifts for many people, personalizing them might be difficult, but if you only intend to give a few people presents, then it's easier, 

Last month, I was in a cafe somewhere in GMA Cavite. I spotted some coffee beans and did not hesitate to buy some for a friend who loves the stuff. Little things that remind you of people can be the perfect holiday gift.

4. Give your heart away.

Throwback: Me, wrapping stuff for the kids.
Last year, I was fortunate enough to have been part of this little program that gave kids in the cancer ward of a Quezon City hospital. Although I was not able to go there personally, I was blessed to have been able to contribute by mobilizing resources (read: pestering people to donate). I was so thankful that my office mates and parents were supportive of the project. Although it wasn't much, we were able to donate a bag of gifts for the kids to play with.

This year, my efforts are geared towards raising fund for the survivors of Yolanda. I haven't raised a big-enough amount to make a huge impact, but I think every little thing counts. 

Doing these things felt good. Doing this willingly - reaching out and just trying to make people feel a bit better - is probably one of the best thing I did this year.

Advertisement time! For those of you interested in helping me raise more money, please check out my other blogpost. I'm selling some pre-loved books. Everything goes to donations. You can check the books out here.



I love giving gifts. I am all for the non-material things, but I also love saying "I remember you" and "You are important" in this non-verbal manner. What's great is that you don't even have to spend much to make presents special. Whip up your creativity - and add a bit of love into it - and you got yourself something special for your special ones. 


Happy holidays, everyone. Stay creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment