Friday, March 21, 2014

The Importance of Shutting Up


It was my brother who taught me how to love animals.

When I was young, he would take me to empty lots around our subdivision to catch dragonflies. He told me that there was a crocodile living in the creek near our house.  When we got older, my brother would always take me to Cartimar, this little place in Manila known for selling birds, cats, fish, and dogs. We would go around and hang out with his fellow pet enthusiasts.

Was I surprised when his interests turned into reptiles and other exotic animals? No. Was I surprised that he started going on several trips, climbing mountains, to take pictures of the local wildlife? Not one bit. Did I find it amazing that he became a resource person of a show about Philippine wilderness and whatnot? No. My brother, who has a Masters in Public Administration and who worked his butt off to get his PhD in Educational Management, has always been destined to be awesome (I'm his sister after all).

My family and I during my brother's graduation. 



My brother’s love for the local wildlife meant that he has worked to ensure that we normal people are aware of the existence of the diverse fauna endemic in our country, as well as to preserve the said exotic animals.

This love is most likely the reason for this scathing status:



A Thin Line Between Public Service and Self Service

I have always believed in that writers, regardless of whether they tell fiction or non-fiction stories, are obliged by their craft to tell the truth. Writers who are journalists are even more compelled to do so. It is their work. It is their calling. It is their mandate. But like any job, telling the truth should be done with caution. Case in point: The Quirino Grand Stand Hostage Crisis. Hong Kong has yet to forgive the Philippines for that not-so-hospitable end to the tourists. 

If there is one proof that sometimes truth can be used in the worst of ways, it is this. 

When I was in high school and during the media training for RH that I attended, one important thing was drilled onto me by my teachers and trainers: responsible reporting. This can mean several things, and here are just some ideas that can be related:

1. Accuracy is the name of the game. This means that before a writer writes he or she must check sources, get in touch with experts, and make sure that whatever and however the piece is written is not intellectually dishonest, whether you meant to do it (for agenda setting - not cool, man) or not.

2. Protect your source. This is where confidentiality comes in. Say you're writing about a crime, like the PDAF scandal. It's often very tempting to say that you got the scoop from the mistress of a senator, or a perpetrator's brother in law, but sometimes, there are more important things that sensationalizing your story with undertones of betrayal, immorality, and sex. Your source could be risking more than their relationship with the people they choose to be a snitch to, they can very well be risking their lives.

3. Some truths are not meant for public ears. There are certain information that, if made public, such as the name of your source in some high-profile crime story, the identity of a rape victim (especially that of a minor), and the location of the Philippine Orange Tarantula, especially if your source has explicitly asked you to not divulge such information because it may lead to endangering the species. 



Many people use the banner of public service to rationalize voicing their opinions and telling truths. I believe in this. But sometimes shutting up is just as important as speaking up.

If, in disseminating the truth, you have hurt or endangered other people's lives or have compromised something that is good, then you might just be self-serving instead of people-serving. And as much as good writing, a nose for the news, and an instinct to get to the bottom of an issue are qualities of a good writer-journalist, I think learning when to shut up should be given as much value abovementioned traits.







No comments:

Post a Comment