Monday, July 15, 2013

Four Crazy Things I Found Through Research: Adolescent Sexuality, Religion, and Everything in Between



Hurray! This is my 28th blogpost! I’ve reached the number of post I had last year and it’s only July! I promise that there is more Codswallop to come. 

Now onwards with the post!

My work for the past few weeks has been centered on scouring the Internet to prove that there is an alarming increase in teenage pregnancy because of lack of information regarding reproductive health. That one is easy: I’ll just have to quote NSO’s press releases which state that there is a 65% increase in teenage pregnancy from 2000 to 2006.[i] My job also includes listing down the reasons as to why there is a lack of access to information. We all know that one of the most obvious reasons is that 81% of Filipinos is Catholic,[ii] but when your bosses include Lizzie Zobel and Alvin Dakis, the reason that “it’s common knowledge” is a reason crushed by skepticism that rivals an atheist’s when confronted with the argument of the existence of god. 

Hungry for knowledge (and honestly terrified of not being able to answer questions thrown during our revision exercises), I channeled Hermione Granger and ate up several volumes of Philippine Population Review, slept with a magazine on girls on migration, and scoured the Internet for anything from Papal Encyclicals to the Jo Imbong’s shiz about sex ed[iii]. And because I’m such a nerd, I’m writing this oh-so-special blogpost to share the happiness and the trauma I’ve experienced during my rabid online research.

Here are some crazy data that I found that made me question, react either with awe or violence, or look out into the horizon and ponder on the meaning of existence. 

1. 83% of Filipinos are on Facebook, Twitter, and other emerging media.[iv]
 
That’s 83% of almost 92 million people, ladies and gentlemen, and there are those who still underestimate the power of the social media to inform and influence. In this day and age of smart

And this tells us the reach – the power- of social media. In this day and age where a significant portion of Filipinos have smart phones, access to internet through their personal computers or through internet shops, many advocacy groups, government agencies, and even the Roman Catholic Church have Facebook and Twitter accounts. 

Just this Tuesday, the oral arguments were held for the Reproductive Health Law at the Supreme Court. Both pro-RH and anti-RH were Tweeting to keep people in the know.  

2. High cost of education and – get this – housekeeping are the top two reasons why girls drop out of school.[v]

I actually received flak from someone online when I posted this little bit of info online, saying that I was insinuating that girls should be lazy and not do housework. It drove me nuts for a couple of seconds, but there you go. I will no longer speak about the incidence.

The point: Why is it that the GIRLS are the ones shown to quit school because of housework? Why not boys?

The question: What does the study tell us?

The hypothesis: This stat has something to do with what’s between the legs. The Filipino culture, known for its patriarchal ideologies (despite ranking 8 in the world in terms of the Gender Gap Index) have stereotyped girls as the keepers of the house – despite the fact that today many women maintain jobs outside the house and are bringing home the bacon. 

One of the many literature I’ve read talked about the dangers of gender roles. In the news, we hear about the inequality of those with penises and with vaginas. The Philippines may be high up in the list of gender equality, but that doesn’t mean we have to stop working for it.

3. Empowered mothers tend to rear empowered daughters – and this means talking about sex.[vi]
 
What does it mean to be an empowered woman? Several things, according to this study – having an education and a career, being able to decide what happens around the house and - surprise, surprise - having the ability to make informed choices about one’s body. That, and being able to pass that knowledge to one’s daughter. In the study, it was shown that empowered moms would more likely advice their daughters to delay sexual initiation and give them the necessary sex ed to their children. 

4. Abstinence is more frequently talked about during integrated sex ed class than reproductive anatomy.[vii]

I shiz you not,dear Reader. Not using your reproductive anatomy is taught more than WHAT your reproductive anatomy is. 


My desk is a reflection how crazy I've become.


The Internet is an awesome reservoir of knowledge, and this past few weeks have been a learning experience for me. The multitude of data and information I was able to take in were eye-opening and had elicited a variety of emotions – like I said, from awe to violence – but most importantly, the job has made me look closer at what is happening in real life, it has made me question and seek answers.
If you’re interested in any of the stuff I talked about here, check out the linkies below for more cool/infuriating stuff about religion, sexual health, and young people. 
Knock yourself out.



[i] Pregnancy among girls under the age of 20 increased by 65 per cent over a 10-year period, from 2000-2010, despite a reverse trend in teen marriages, which is on the decline, according to the National Statistics Office (NSO).”
[iii] “Supposing [a girl] says, ‘I think I love this guy, He’s my crush. He wants to be more intimate with me,’ and then she gets abused. That was her decision. She entered into it. There is already consent, therefore you cannot anymore charge the other person. See how dangerous it is?"
[iv] McCann International study on social media use: Power to the People Social Media Tracker Wave 3
[vii] In a study conducted by Merlyne Paunlagui, et. al. in 2005, abstinence was more commonly discussed than sexual decision-making (37.86%), reproductive anatomy (35.92%), contraception (30.10%), and risk reduction, which received the lowest attention at 25.24%.

No comments:

Post a Comment