Saturday, January 26, 2013

We're All Going to Die

"This is about living for the here and the now," a good friend told me when he lent me a book by someone called Paul Kurtz. 

If I were to over-simplify things, I'd say the book borders on the spiritual and self-help genre. I can almost imagine my friend's raised eyebrows at that statement - he's atheist, after all. Truth be told, it was the first time I read a book like that. The nearest I've flipped through is The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene, which my co-worker lent me. But I just had to put it down in favor of the Paul Kurtz book (sorry Ruthie).

After reading it twice and copying my favorite parts (I would have attempted to copy the entire book, but the schedule wouldn't permit), I finally had to return the book to its rightful owner. And I did it with a sense of regret and loss and a tub-load of bitterness. My friend, being the (insane) wisdom-loving guy that he is, asked me what I thought of Paul Kurtz's ideologist.

Of course, I blubbered and failed to defend the reason as to why I read the entire thing twice, perused it several times, fell asleep with the lights on and with the book next to me, and returned it looking as though I had it for months instead of a couple of weeks. So much from being an IELTS instructor extraordinaire.

So I thought I'd make it up to myself and explain why, if I had been a less virtuous person, I would have never given the book back

Here are some of the things that I made me want to hunt for my own copy.

1. "To be indifferent to the needs of our time and to the broader movements of social change is to be morally insensitive."


To step out of a self-centered world where people don't care about what happens beyond themselves (and their loved ones) as long as it doesn't affect them is a the breath of fresh air for me. Advocacy has given me something else worthwhile to live for, has given me friends and colleagues whom I learn from, admire, trust, and love. I have learned so much, and my contribution to the cause may be small, but I know I can help make a difference. 

I was once "morally insensitive", indifferent and selfish in my purpose, before I found that I can do something, before I felt that I can no longer be confined to my own little circle. I was selfish before, keeping whatever little talent I have in the service of a limited number of people instead of spreading my abilities in the service of those who need it more.

This part of the book hit me because it told me exactly what I once was and I want to never be again.

2. "Creativity perhaps best defines who and what we are as humans: we are masters of our own destinies, the creators and makers of a new world."


"I am the master of my faith, I am the captain of my soul," said William Ernest Henley in his poem Invictus.

I've always believed that to just accept whatever it is that life throws my way is to be passive and lazy. I've always believed that I could either wallow in sorrow, or I can stand up, be brave, make a decision to change my life and the lives of others, and act. This belief has been immortalized in the words above. I've always fancied myself as creative, and I know that the first thing required to produce - an artwork, a write-up - is to seriously take on my role as a creator, to understand and to live by the principle that no one else will start my story, create its subplots, or bring about adventure but me. In this case, my life is my story and the world is my setting. I can choose to either have a boring plot, or an awesome one.

3. "The courage to become is the vital component of a life lived well."

Did I ever tell you I'm scared of heights? In fact, I'm so scared of heights I get dizzy when going down metal foot bridges. I would either have to grab the person next to me or hold onto the railings.I am also afraid of roller coasters. In fact, my best friend (who is a roller coaster freak) has threatened me for years to drag me to ride the Star City roller coaster. And when I was at Enchanted Kingdom a few years back with my cousins, I purposely slipped off and got a henna tat instead. 

I also dislike pain, and I would never want to be the cause it. Unfortunately, I had to learn that I would either have to puncture a person's skin with a well-placed IM injection or said person could drop dead and die. It's all about choosing the lesser evil. 

Thus, why I like this excerpt. It re-emphasized the importance of courage as an essential ingredient to a happier life. I'm probably going to go with my brother one day, to one of his exploring trips. We'll climb a mountain and, while he and his friends are busy with looking for snakes, I can reach out and touch the clouds. Or to decide, with bravery, to choose what is right instead of what is easy. 


4. "The end, purpose, and goal of life is to live fully and creatively, making each moment of beauty and brilliance count. "

When I read this part, I had to smile. My (crazy) friend is right: the book is about living for the here and the now. The book affirms that there is no other life than this one and that we shouldn't live for life after death, but for the life we have right now.  It emphasizes on our mortality (in a nerdy way, it emphasizes on how our telomeres will one day run out), and thus on the importance of living the best way we can. 



It's the only life we've got. Why waste it?

That, to me, is beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment